Call Me by Your Name

Call Me by Your Name ★★★★★

so my favourite cinema did a special screening of this movie last night and my boyfriend surprised me with tickets for our anniversary because i missed out on seeing it in cinemas and i just have to say that straight white women who are obsessed with gay men are a PLAGUE on society!!!!!!!! here are a few reasons why:

• as we were leaving i heard a girl say that that the movie had AND I QUOTE “sad undertones”...she said that a movie that finishes with a four minute close up shot of a boy having a mental breakdown over losing the love of his life while the saddest song of all time plays softly over it had sad U N D E R T O N E S!!!!!! what the fuck do words even MEAN anymore?

• there were a group of girls behind me would go “oh my god! oh my god! oh my god!” and squeal and go “AW!!!!!!” every time something gay happened (which, for those of you who may not have seen the film yes is PRETTY FUCKING OFTEN!!!!!!!)

• the early thirties white women drinking wine who would talk and even laugh (?) during super painful and uncomfortable scenes because i guess trauma only counts when it relates to you?????

there’s nothing wrong with seeing this movie as a straight person or as a woman but if you’re going to go to make a spectacle over gay people, fetishise them, ruin the experiences of other moviegoers who could potentially be seeing themselves on the big screen for the first time or to use the word undertones so wrongly that i consider throwing myself down a flight of stairs you can literally CHOKE!!!!