Victoria

Victoria ★★★★

Going into this film, I was concerned that the single take approach would be too distracting to care about the narrative. I wasn't wrong, because at times I found myself thinking more about what kind of battery rig they had and if they did more than one take for the film (they did 3); however, the single take, while flashy at times, is just smooth enough to cause even the most hyper-aware to forget about its existence at times. This may also be attributed to how immersive the story is and that we connect with the characters, especially in the final act of the film. The ultimate test was that I did not inform my fiancé on how the film was shot, and after it was over I told her. From what she says, she did not notice at the time of watching it, but in her recollection she can see it happening.

Victoria is a fairly riveting film, but it also has a lot of care for its characters, mainly Victoria and Sonne, who develop less of a romantic connection and more of a bond. There is a very emotional scene in a café where Victoria works. She explains to Sonne that she is a piano player, and he asks her to play. She does, and as she play she gets more and more emotionally involved in what she is doing, and she plays aggressively, to the point that she has to stop and compose herself. She explains that all she wants to do is play piano, but that her teachers told her she isn't good enough. It is an incredible scene, but also extremely representative of Victoria's impulsive and devouring approach to life, and even our, the audience's, experience of the film.

Victoria is streaming on Netflix. Watch it.