Creepshow ★★★

Creepshow is a horror anthology from 1982 and did moderately well at the box office. It was directed by George Romero and written by Stephen King. The film acts as an homage to the E.C. and D.C horror comic books of the 1950's.

The film consists of 5 short stories tied together bookended by a couple of short scenes featuring a young boy who is punished by his dad (Tom Atkins) for reading a Creepshow comic. The stories are as follows:

Fathers Day:
This story follows a family get together where a story is told regarding Aunt Bedelia (who hasn't arrived yet) who allegedly killed her father due to a lifetime of being bullied and him having her sweetheart murdered. Bedelia turns up and heads out to the grave with a bottle of liquor and starts ranting at her deceased father - who then decides to make an appearence in grisly fashion.

The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill:
A dimwitted backwoods yokel touches a meteorite that's crashed to earth nearby. The touch causes plant stuff to start sprouting from his fingers, and from anything he touches. That's pretty much it for this one.

Something to Tide you Over:
Leslie Nielsen, against type, plays an insane and wealthy person who takes revenge on his wife and her lover. It involves burying them in the sand.

The Crate:
College Professor discovers an old crate under the stairs in a caged off area. The crate has apparently been there for 148 years. Naturally, they remove it and open it up only to reveal a big bad baboon with lots of scary looking teeth. The Professors friend uses the situation to get rid of his irritating wife.

They're Creeping Up on You!:
Ruthless businessman lives in his sealed up apartment, fitted with security cameras. His flat slowly gets overrun with cockroaches - starting with just the one and ending with literally thousands. Suffice to say his death wasn't very nice.

It's a difficult one, this is. On the one hand, I really liked the overall feel to it, the way it transitioned in and out of animated comic book mode in between stories, and the overlay of comic elements in certain parts. It looked like a very well produced anthology and much more polished than you would normally expect from a horror film in the early 80's. The acting was suitably hammy and over the top, and the effects (done by Tom Savini) were very good.

But... I don't know. Maybe it seemed a little too polished and too over produced. Maybe the stories could have been a little less predictable. The film did seem to drag in a couple of places, especially when I already knew how it was going to end 2 minutes into a story. I know this anthology has got quite a good reputation but I just didn't seem to take to it as much as I thought I would.

I'm going to give it an above average 6/10