Ankush ★★★★½

Ankush is undoubtedly, one of the top classics I revisited last year (2018). The simplicity in the frames, and the profoundness in the dialogues which lays bare the troublesome times of the 80's Mumbai is extremely sharp and soul touching. The life and times of unemployed youth of Mumbai portrayed here is a bold essay of the consequences of unplanned societal growth.
N. Chandra was brave enough to make this bold and unconventional choice of a film when the whole Bollywood was swinging in one direction in the 1980's. Some of the frames of the film can never be wiped out of my consciousness now, because the locations are real, the stories are real, everything happening has happened before. Ankush serves more like a memoir of Mumbai (a city which has been loved and made into a dreamland of sorts in movies) in the 1980's.
In a scene where two lanes hosting the ganpati festival, come up in arms against each other with swords, Nana Patekar steals the show and shows us the actor which Bollywood should be proud off! Also, what else should unemployed people do besides hosting Ganesh Festivals? Isn't that exactly what the political parties/government can best offer? Such a sharp attack from N. Chandra! Absolutely soul baring and brave!