Malignant

Malignant ★★★★★

No one makes em like this anymore. Except Jimmy...because he just did.

I’m on cloud nine right now so you’re just going to have to indulge me my scatterbrained thoughts.

I love how the marketing to this movie was advertising James Wan’s return to horror like it was the part in Spider-Man 2 with Spider-Man leaping through the center of the newspaper headline reading HE’S BACK! And that’s what this felt like to me.

I love that he took all that money, cache, and blockbuster knowledge he made and learned from making Aquaman, and then dove right back into Dead Silence territory. This is Wan’s My Soul to Take, and I mean that in the best possible way. Dude just made a 00’s slasher with Italian flair and the kind of skilled camerawork you only get from...the man who made Aquaman!!!

Look...I like some deliberately paced, minimalist indie horror. And I like horror that’s trying to say something. But in a world where it feels like 9 out of 10 horror movies either cost 1 million dollars and take place in one house, or feel the need to be about grief or gentrification or whatever flavor the commentary of the month is...it’s just fucking awesome to see a gross ass movie about a parasitic twin that looks like it has the budget of...AQUAMAN!!!

HaydenGilbert liked these reviews