Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame ★★★★★

I need to take a moment and write about a experience I had last night.

At 10:30 PM in a entirely sold out theatre, everyone was waiting patiently for the cinematic event of the decade. “WE’RE IN THE ENDGAME NOW!!!”, a man 3 rows behind me yelled upon the Marvel Studios Logo appearing. The entire audience, myself included, proceeded to let out screams and cries of pure excitement and anticipation that I had never heard before in a movie theatre. Not only had I never seen a crowd so excited for a film, but I had never been in a crowd with such a incredible mood. The room felt like magic, hundreds of die hard fans all gathered together and ready to see the grand finale to over a decade worth of storytelling, and oh man, did it ever deliver.

I’ll avoid discussion of characters themselves as well as story arc’s and just discuss how this movie felt to experience. The Russo Brothers direction is as great as always, especially with the absolutely stunning visuals, and they do a astounding job concluding the journey that so many people grew up with. Whereas Infinity War felt more like a giant crossover event of all the Marvel characters we’ve met, Endgame feels much more like a straight forward Avengers movie, although it still shares it’s screen time with the other characters perfectly. It spends a lot of time with the original 6, and it’s not only refreshing after Infinity War, but truly great to see them all together sharing the screen for as long as they do.

There were so many different emotions felt in this one. I laughed till I was weak in one breath, and then felt genuine sorrow in the next. I would cheer in excitement, only to find genuine tears minutes later. I won’t get into any specifics, but the fan service in this movie is spectacular. This isn’t a film for a casual marvel viewer, it’s a film for people who have loved these characters for as long as they can remember, it’s a love letter to the entire MCU as we know it. The Russo Brothers are entirely aware of how much people love these characters; and they love them just as much.

This was everything I hoped it would be, and I’m still over the moon talking about it. I can’t wait to see people talking about the legacy of these movies in future generations. I doubt there will be a cinematic journey like this ever again, and if there is, it won’t be for a long, long time.  As hard as it will be knowing the MCU will never be the same as it was, “Part of the journey is the end”. This was the ultimate conclusion to a truly epic franchise. Thank you Marvel for all the wonderful films you bring to the world, and thank you Stan, for showing us all that the ultimate superpower is Creativity.

Excelsior!