Halloween

Halloween ★★★★½

“You can’t kill the Boogeyman.”

The Good:
Carpenter executes absolutely masterful direction in this excellent 1978 horror film.
The way Carpenter uses the foreground & background to subtly hint at the looming terror that awaits Laurie Strode & her friends is wonderful. Carpenter’s wonderfully fluid use of the camera is transfixing.

Carpenter’s score is absolutely phenomenal, I’m not exclusively referencing the famous Halloween theme, the entire score is brilliant. The synth & piano mix is perfectly fits the tone of Halloween

The way The Shape is revealed gradually over time and subtly is so fantastic. You don’t see this fantastic restraint in many horror films, I must commend Halloween for doing so. Halloween has this ever present atmosphere that infests the entire runtime, you can practically feel Myers watching you as the Carpenter’s score overwhelms you, it’s fantastic.

The Bad
The only really issue I have with Halloween is a fair few of the performances. Most of the performances range from passable to awful. With perhaps the exception of one or two very well done performances. The awful performances really drag done their respective scenes.

Fun Fact:
From a budget of $300,000 the film went on to gross $47 million at the US box office. In 2008 takings that would be the equivalent of $150 million.

Would Recommend!