Jaws

“Martin, it's all psychological. You yell barracuda, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July.”

The Good:
Spielberg delivers some his best direction; direction he has only topped a few other times in his entire career.

Every single performance in Jaws is absolutely phenomenal, even the extremely minor performances leave a lasting impression. Schneider, Shaw & Dreyfuss have absolutely wonderful chemistry; yet they all work just as well individually.

William’s score is so brillant, everyone immediately points to the now iconic theme, but there are many more moments just as great throughout Jaws. The fantastic contrast of delightfully joyous music to blood and destruction at the very end of the film; it shouldn’t work, yet it does.

The Bad:
While all of the performances are wonderful, the character writing isn’t. I feel like we don’t really learn anything about our characters. You could argue the U.S.S Indianapolis monologue does that, but I’d disagree. It felt like a stereotypical & somewhat manipulative; it’s saved by Shaw’s magnificent performance.

Fun Fact:
Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss could not stand each other and the two argued all the time, which resulted in some good tension between Hooper and Quint.

Would Recommend!