Suspiria

Suspiria

“Bad luck isn't brought by broken mirrors, but by broken minds.”

The Good:
Suspiria (1977) is a spellbinding and atmospheric film with a fantastic structure. The way the events and revelations are revealed felt so perfect. The campy yet unsettling tone felt to perfect and well-balanced.

The direction of Suspiria (1977) is so surreal and dreamlike. It has a natural yet precise style; Dario Argento did a spectacular job with this film.

The cinematography is so purposeful and meaningful yet it’s also incredibly pleasing to the eye. Not many films have so much depth in their color choices as much as Suspiria (1977).

I really adored the eerie and unnerving score that complemented Suspiria (1977) so well. I love how it develops with the plot.

The Bad:
When the credit “You Have Been Watching ‘Suspiria’” appeared on screen I felt I tinge of narrative disappoint. I feel like the film’s plot was very rushed and slapped together. Suspiria (1977) would’ve benefitted from a lengthier runtime.

The campy performances and sound design didn’t always bother me but at time I felt like it prevented from the intended emotional experience of the scene.

Fun Fact:
Dario Argento composed the creepy music with the band Goblin and played it at full blast on set to unnerve the actors and elicit a truly scared performance.

Would Recommend!