La La Land

La La Land ★★★★

I went into watching La La Land with slight skepticism, and when the first musical number started (which was immediate once the movie began) I even considered seeing if my friend wanted to leave the theater to switch to a movie less...awful, to be frank. All I could think about was how cliched the homages were, and how that probably meant I was missing the point. Well maybe not missing the point if I'm able to see that there's an objective to the dumbassery that's not resonating with me. I just knew that the end result of the opening throwback musical number was something I just absolutely loathed. With everything I have in me I so despised the opening scene.

I'm so relieved to be able to say that that didn't leave a sour taste in my mouth for the rest of the film, for as soon as the ball started rolling I was sucked right in to this love story. Maybe not sucked in RIGHT away, but certainly sucked in at a point that I can pinpoint with 100% accuracy. When the story-telling point of view switches from Emma Stone's Mia to Ryan Gosling's Sebastian, I was pretty goddamn hooked! I felt an emotional connection to the relationship of these characters that caught my skeptical ass off guard for sure!

La La Land felt like the film equivalent of a sugar rush, between the upbeat atmosphere of the jazz music, singing and dancing, and the use of color. And I feel unquestionably satisfied with the movie I watched and am pleased that my dubious expectations were unfounded!

(We're just not gonna talk about that shitty beginning and fairly shitty ending.)