The Drop

The Drop ★★★½

I've been waiting for this movie to come out since I read the breakdown on a festival site (I forget which festival) but I was so amped. Robin Thede is one of the funniest people on television. Utkarsh Ambudkar is becoming one of my favorite comedic actors. Jillian Bell is absolutely hilarious. Anna Konkle was the star of one of my favorite shows. The premise seemed absolutely insane. It seemed like it was a comedic no-brainer.

And for the most part, it was. A group of friends are flying to a tropical Mexican resort for a wedding. After deboarding the plane a baby gets dropped. Hilarity ensues.

So everyone in this movie is really funny and everyone has a moment to shine. The comedy isn't what I thought it would be but it is very funny. Some of the scenes lasted a hair too long or sat just a bit too much into it for my taste but nothing that made me wanna turn it off. Surprisingly the funniest person to me was the kid, Elisha Henig. He's a teenager doing seminal retention and is horny as hell and it is fucking hilarious. I think its the most surprising because everyone is lowkey a heavy hitter and he was the funniest, in my opinion.

The drama of the movie really is the main couple, Jermaine Fowler and Anna Konkle, trying to decide if they can move their relationship forward through what's happening on the island. Fowler has really good stoic moments that I really enjoyed and that rubbed up against the comedy well.

The Duplass Brothers executive produced this and you can tell. I like their weird, sort of out of the OUTside of the box style. Its strange and off-color and its fun. I enjoyed this movie!

Good viewing!