Halloween ★★★★★

The movie that sparked the slasher genre and laid the stage for nearly every modern horror film we see today.

This movie holds up surprisingly well and I think a big testament to that is the excellent pacing. Halloween never really drags at any point as you are constantly stuck with this sense of being watched by Michael peering through the windows. This is still a very effective and unnerving film. Sure, some of the death scenes are pretty cornball but you also have to keep in mind this movie was made in 1978 with next to no budget. That being said, the way in which Michael lingers and slowly plots out killing his next victim is truly unsettling and creates this immense sense of dread that could be hiding around any corner.

Carpenter makes some really genius directorial choices in this film that have at this point been troped and parodied to the point of becoming hack. However, you have to put yourself in the shoes of a 1978 audience seeing all of these techniques for the very first time. Carpenter is the father of the modern jump scare. The opening to this movie is a stroke of pure genius: the POV "one-er". We don't know who we are or what we are doing there until we see ourselves grab the knife...

And that fucking score...

John Carpenter's score is truly an all time great one that epitomizes the feeling that Halloween (the movie and the season) is all about.