The Blair Witch Project

The Blair Witch Project ★★★★

Watched for Film Club

It's hard to believe that this movie is 21 years old because I still remember when it was a brand-new movie back in 1999. During the Summer-Fall of 1999, everyone was talking about this movie as if it was The Exorcist (1973) all over again. Even the people in my school were talking about how scary and awesome this movie was back in the 3rd grade. I've lived in Maryland my entire life and you could not step outside your house without hearing people talking about this movie back in 1999. I have met people who have travel to Maryland just to visit the filming location of this movie. It always makes me happy that an indie film from my state has become a cultural phenomenon worldwide. I have seen this movie a few times growing up and I didn't see it in the theaters sadly (I wanted too, but I remember my Mom & Dad thought the movie looked stupid). However, I was lucky enough to watch it on VHS when my friends and I rented it from Blockbuster for Halloween back in October 1999.

Seeing that the movie is no longer on Netflix (As of 9/28/2020), I had to rent it from Amazon Prime to watch it for Film Club. After watching this movie again, I still think it's a good movie. I don't consider it to be the best-found footage movie, but I still think The Blair Witch Project is a very well-made movie. I always love the general atmosphere and vibe that this movie has. The movie has an SOV (Shot on Video) vibe that I always love because it makes the movie feel very authentic. The movie itself feels like it was shot on a VHS tape by a bunch of College Students in Maryland. The atmosphere in this movie is fantastic because the movie has an autumn seasonal feeling to it. In the movie, you have scattering autumn leaves on the ground that you will find in windy afternoons during the fall.

I do like the actors in the movie and I felt like they did a good job of playing a bunch of film students that end up getting lost in the woods. It was a good idea that they used a bunch of unknown actors and not big Hollywood stars to make the movie feel believable. The characters in the movie feel like people that you would probably bump into on the streets in real life. For a movie that is under 90 minutes, I always felt like the first half of the movie starts off pretty slow before things start to kick off.

Overall, The Blair Witch Project is still a solid movie and I do recommend checking it out if you haven't seen it yet. Rating: 8/10

Michelle (Guyver Spawn) liked these reviews