Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

Mulholland Dr. will always have a special place in my heart. Even though I've have become enthusiastic about film in general just recently, I've seen Mulholland Dr. many, many times over the last 10 years and it has an unequalled impact every single time, and I'm trying not to be hyperbolic here. Especially the first couple of watches (alongside Twin Peaks roughly at the same time) were extremely important for me because they helped me realize that film as a medium is capable of deeper and more artistic content, as I'd had quite an opposite impression for a long time in my (pre-)adolescent years.

And the impact is definitely not only film-watching-related; Mulholland Drive's emotional and transcendental themes have always been deeply intriguing and touching for me, and there's always something new to absorb here. Of course there are also very valid theories of deciphering the actual puzzle of Mulholland Dr. - which I don't think is really that complicated after all - but nowadays I personally find it a lot more preferable to take this in as a ravishing mood piece, not as something to disentangle.

I'm not really writing any analytical review here, let's just say it's pretty much perfect. And no matter how many times I watch the amazing Club Silencio scene it always sends chills down my spine and makes me cry at the same time. Probably my all-time favorite scene.

Henri liked these reviews