Wax, or The Discovery of Television Among the Bees

Wax, or The Discovery of Television Among the Bees

FINALLY got around to watching this. Sorry for being so late.

Man, okay. So right off the bat, this is the quintessential CGI film. It seems like computer animation was made for this. I can't imagine how long it took to make so many crazy renders like those in 1991, but David Blair really showcased how much of a tech nerd he is. Good for him, because what he turned this into is a window into a parallel pixel paradise that turns any sort of recognizable image and shape and twists it into something new, transmutating symbols into new and more crazy shit. It's triangular as hell, dude.

Also, I'd love to experiment watching this without the narration. The voiceover is great and really helps turn a trippy film into a transcendetal voyage, but I left thinking how much of a trip the film would be if we were just left guessing what the hell was going on. Which made me think of Kobrin. Basically Gravidance has so much of a similar vibe to Wax, but with a less congruent plot structure (if any) and without narration. Not to say that one is better than the other because of those reasons, I was just really thinking about a connection that these two directors have in some way. Aside from both making these neo-dadaist CGI trips, they both seem to display the effects of post-Cold War narrative and education on an person's mind. Blair from the American side and Kobrin from the Soviet side. They kinda connect with each other in their films idk

About the film itself, I'm impressed at how digestible it is! Like I said, the voiceover helps, but still it strikes a nice balance between esoteric avant-garde and conventional 3-act structure narrative. Once you embrace the pseudo-science and (at first) scattered editing and imagery, you are taken through one of the most interesting and involving sci-fi films ever compressed through a 1991 computer.

Surpisingly funny, self-aware and competent, people weren't ready for David Blair's mode of storytelling in '91, let alone in '21, but I'm glad I got to watch this. Recommended for uh, anyone else from the film circle I'm in that hasn't watched it yet.

Henrique liked these reviews