Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★★

“It’s okay...”

I don’t think I’ve had tears welled up in my eyes for multiple moments in a film like this before. Sound of Metal is both beautiful and horrific, hands down the scariest thing I’ve seen all year. The idea of going deaf has always terrified me (especially since I’m hard of hearing in my right ear) and this film NAILS every aspect of that fear to a T, with powerful moments, and even stronger sound design. Seriously, this is my single favorite use of sound design in a film ever, it’s terrific.

What’s great about Sound of Metal is that despite nailing this terror factor down perfectly, it also allows for hope to settle in around the third act. The idea of hearing, something we take for granted, is symbolized as an addiction, something craved. Much like any addiction, no matter how much money you put into it, nothing will suffice, and for the sake of this film, nothing’s ever “fixed”. All of this builds up in the last act and culminates in that beautiful final scene, it’s just perfect.

I’m finding myself comparing this a lot to one of my other favorite films, Trainspotting. Both deal with characters who are battling (or straight up ignoring) an addiction, who experience tragic moments, but despite this, leave the viewer feeling extremely hopeful. I absolutely loved Sound of Metal. I couldn’t even believe it was over; I swear this film could’ve gone on for another 4 hours and I wouldn’t have even noticed, especially if it kept the same energy it had throughout.

It’s magnificent, easily the best thing I’ve seen all year. It’s heartbreaking at times, but it’s filled immensely with hope. I’ll be thinking about this film for days, I just know it. Please check this one out if you can, it’s a masterpiece for what it’s going for.

10!!!