Candyman

Candyman ★★★★

I meant to see the original first to have a frame of reference but never got around to it. Take that as a disclaimer.

But I thought this was awesome. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II was phenomenal as the lead (& was also jacked as hell). Really brought that sense of terror. I thought the music in particular was chilling, really added to the haunting vibes. Some of the camerawork was great too, especially those city shots. The pacing was pretty effective. Really my only complaint is, as much as I support the political messages this movie is trying to convey, that ending still felt like it left something to be desired.

I really wanted to see this in theaters but this is super popular where I’m at & despite having seen a bunch of movies in theaters this year, I’m not ready for packed showings yet (most of the showings I go to are relatively empty, sometimes completely empty). Feel like this would’ve been better on the big screen, especially the music.

I also really liked Little Woods from Nia DaCosta so intrigued to see what she does next.

2021 Releases, Ranked (#12 for the year!)

Watched in 2021, Ranked