I Kill Giants

„You don‘t wanna get too close to me. People close to me get hurt.“

When I read I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly, my grandfather had just died of cancer. For other reasons as well, I was probably at the lowest point of my life so far. The comic resonated with me like no other one before. I think I understand myself better because of I Kill Giants and I even believe it contributed to me getting better. I didn’t dare to hope for the movie adapatation to be on the same level. I still believe the story is told a tad better in the comic book, but there are lines of dialogue, imagery and underlying concepts to this story, which push and pull at just the right neurons in my brain. 20 minutes into the movie, I was in tears for the first time.

Sometimes, when very empathetic, very strong people are faced with things they can‘t change, they still try to take responsibility. Some people break in mid-fight, some carry a burden that was never meant for them till they die and some make peace with their giants and lay down their arms. That‘s what this story is about. That‘s what Barbara does.

I don‘t think my reaction to I Kill Giants can be generalized. As with the comic, I feel this story is explicitly told for me. I feel understood by this story and therefore less alone. That‘s what‘s important to me. I can‘t tell anyone else if they may like I Kill Giants.

Herrvonspeck liked this review