One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ★★★

Film Club #2

What a great movie! This has become a classic for a reason. This was a story full of complex and interesting characters. Every side character was interesting and unique. There were no characters that felt one dimensional or boring to me.

The themes that can be unpacked from this are just so vast that it’s impossible to not respect it for its storytelling. McMurphy and Nurse Ratched are so interesting to compare against each other because they both represent such different ideals.

I think Nurse Ratched is one of the most interesting villains that I’ve ever seen in a film and I give major kudos to Louise Fletcher for her performance. I know people often cite Jack Nicholson as the strong point of this film for his performance (as they should) but I don’t think it would have worked as well if Fletcher wasn’t equally as strong as he was.

There’s a lot that can be discussed about this film from its themes of insanity, authoritarianism, gender politics, and sexuality. I really like pieces of media that can be dissected like that and still remain relevant and interesting decades after its release.

Shoutout to the hero of this story - Chief ✊🏻

🌻 lindsay 🌻 liked these reviews