Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion ★★★★★

I am an insecure person.

This film forces me to face that.

Communicating with others can be incredibly difficult for me, and I'm scared of being rejected.

The depression and pain that I felt in the past is suddenly right beside me once more, and even though everything is well with me right now, these darker aspects will always make up a fundemental part of me, and will always serve as a subtle reminder of how people go through different phases throughout their lifetime, and how they all matter.

The End Of Evangelion is, to me, one of the few films that surpasses the existential nature of films like 2001, and forces me to examine myself in the most blunt and honest way. Hideaki Anno is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, and deserves way more recognition as an innovator, weather we're talking about animation or live action film.

The fact that some people avoid these type of films simply because of the fact that they are animated is a huge sadness, and something that I hope people will overcome soon enough.

When I stated that this film forced me to face my fears and insecurities, I definitely don't mean that in a bad way. Quite the opposite. Films like these, that manages to change a person's fundemental understanding, and makes the viewer grow as a person are extraordinarily rare. A lot of people will find my praising naive and exaggerated, but after all, art is subjective.

Throughout this epic opus, drenched in Freudian thought and religious symbolism, Anno manages to make both one of the most grand and large scale depiction of the literal rebirth of humanity, as well as one of the most intimate studie of the human psyche. This is a contrast, but somehow works, because ultimately, everything is one.

This rambling/rant might not help everyone, or make anyone want to watch Evangelion, and that's alright. But if you've ever experienced any level of self-loathing or internal struggles, I'd advise you to give the show a shot, after which you should watch this film.

Because it's not often that a film truly manages to change a persons life.

But this happens to be one of those rare occasions.

Block or Report