Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★½

I have always been a firm supporter of Quentin Tarantino, I love his work. I make sure to see his films as soon as they are released in the cinema and I did so today, the opening day here in Norway. I can not tell if I have changed as an audience member or, if, this film just is not as strong as his previous works. I still enjoyed it greatly but it fell short of my Tarantino-level expectations in my movie-going experience.

I think his camera work has improved, there were some extremely beautiful shots that have really brought a lot of poignancy to his film. The scene where Django shoots a man and we do not see his flesh wounds but his blood splatter onto cotton, that held such powerful significance in the mere seconds it was on screen.

While Foxx and Waltz were fantastic, Leonardo DiCaprio was the stand out performance for me. I hope he and Tarantino work together in the future. I also can not go without mentioning Samuel L. Jackson, he played his role perfectly both as a tension breaking ball buster who made us laugh and a truly terrifying man.

Hollie liked these reviews