We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin ★★★★½

Tilda Swinton is the perfect actress in my eyes. You must be a chameleon adapting to whatever role is given to you. It is not just in her slightly androgynous appearance and demeanor but in her natural gift to act, she is perfect.

Like a wounded and terrified animal running on guilt and hindsight, Eva (Swinton) is barely living, flinching at the sound of her own name.

The United States has had its fair share of massacres at schools across the country. There have also been numerous films made, some based on reality, others in fantasy but the one thing they all have in common is the exploitative nature, focusing on the massacre itself. This is where We Need to Talk About Kevin stands out and above the rest. The film focuses on the mother and son relationship and the fact that hindsight is always 20/20.

There could even be a message about how the public treats the family of the perpetrator after a well-publicized crime. Demonizing the family in the 24-hour cable news coverage, causing mini-mobs to form. I am a firm believer in the media needing to be held accountable for their part in these mass killings plaguing the country, among so many other political and moral reasons.

Besides the message which I received loud and clear, the performances, not just by Swinton but everyone else involved, were stellar. It was also beautifully filmed, a scene with a long pause on a lightly blowing curtain in an open sliding glass door spoke volumes. The juxtaposition of the past and present reminded me of a film I watched earlier today, I am a big fan of this style. Interweaving the two time periods to create a cohesive and devastating story with a strong punch of grief, sympathy and anger.

We can criticize the characters for not seeking professional help for their son, not reading the warning sides, blah, blah, blah but it never does any good once the deed is done, does it? It really makes you think about psychopaths, nature vs nurture and genetics.

I have waited two years to see We Need to Talk About Kevin and it was worth the wait.

Hollie liked these reviews