Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★½

The road to ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD continues baby.

I still have a few issues with this film but I have definitely underrated it too much.

To get my issues out of the way, as expected, Quentin Tarantino's acting performance in that one scene is complete garbage and cringy to an insane degree. He's so laughable when he acts in his movies that it ends up being entertaining that I don't even care all that much. Secondly, for a film called DJANGO UNCHAINED, the character of Django himself played by Jamie Foxx is my least favourite in the film and is definitely underwhelming for a Tarantino hero as fellow lad Victor also put it. Tarantino has made other revenge tales in the past with KILL BILL and INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, and the heroes in those films being the Bride and Shosanna are way more memorable and layered to me. I'm not saying the character of Django is bad. He is totally fine. I'm just being a dick by putting him up to a Tarantino standard, which is really hard not to do when practically everyone around him is iconic and putting in their finest work. Lastly, the pacing does get awkward toward the end. After the big shootout, the film feels very anti climatic and is definitely stretched out for too long, even though the very last scene is arguably Tarantino's best. The last third of the film or so is very similar to INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, a film that fortunately does not overstay its welcome at the end.

Alright enough of that shit. This movie is fucking amazing. I compare it to THE WOLF OF WALL STREET in the sense that they are both films from this decade that are so quotable and memorable, they feel like total classics already, not just among cinephiles but casual moviegoers as well. Tarantino once again kills it with the dialogue and most of the characters, the cinematography, the violence, and every piece of music in the film. They all make for so many hilarious and exciting scenes that I admire so much. This may be a hot take for some, only because of the vast amount of amazing roles he has played, but I'm close to calling this Leo's best performance. He occupies this Jack Nicholson from THE SHINING quality here where he manages to be evil, scary, charming, and hilarious all at the same time. Every little gesture he makes and every line is just perfect. He is a true legend of our times. Candie's chemistry with Stephen is also brilliant along with the chemistry between Dr. Schultz and Django. One subtlety I loved this time around was the slow zoom ins on Dr Schultz that would occur every time he felt uncomfortable with Candie's behaviour. Oh, and the way Tarantino uses Alexander Dumas in his writing to make us think about race within the context of the film is genius.

Tarantino I'm sorry I lowered this to 4/5 for a time!

the homeless rockstar liked these reviews