The Master

The Master ★★★★

From an acting perspective, this movie is just a home run. No matter how good an acting career one has, PTA gets the best out of them.

The first time I watched THE MASTER I'll admit I was pretty letdown. I still really liked and appreciated it, but I did find it to be a bit tedious and repetitive. Both my parents felt that way last night, and I can't blame them too much even though I dig this much more now. The craftsmanship is just incredible. The beautiful cinematography with the haunting score, the performances and unique direction make for a film experience that is quite transporting and hypnotic. If you're looking for some kind of intense doc about scientology that's not what you're going to get here. What you will get is a character study of a lost soul who is seeking a purpose. Now I do still find portions to be a bit tedious and repetitive, but definitely not nearly as much as my first viewing. Also, random thought and goof that doesn't matter lol, but for a scene that feels pretty grounded in reality, the jail scene (which is awesome by the way) there is no way they would put Freddy and Lancaster in cells right beside each other. I never really thought of it but my dad pointed it out and yeah, there is no way they would ever do that.

nolan liked these reviews