Creep 2 ★★★½

Part of Schlocktober 2017

I kinda dug the original Creep. It was relatively fresh, had more than a few scary moments, and I'm also a bit of a Mark Duplass fan. His works often feel original and genuine so I was half anticipating this sequel.

The good news is this sequel is pretty solid. Whilst not as scary or original as the first, it does keep you glued to the screen to find out how it all unfolds. Duplass is a solid, modern day storyteller and we get more insight into who his character is and what motivates him this time around. Usually that's either a blessing and a curse in horror movies. However, Duplass manages to avoid delving too much into his characters' backstory or provide anything significantly on-the-nose.

The biggest problem I had with the film was the ending. Whilst the original had a fantastic ending, this time around, it's fairly meh. I feel like if they brainstormed a few more ideas for that the final third, I think it could have equalled the original. Don't get me wrong, it's still a worthy sequel but perhaps a missed opportunity to push it a little further.

With all that said, I'm looking forward to where they take things in the inevitable, Creep 3.