The New Daughter ★★

Beggars can't be choosers. I live in Japan, so my choices for films are limited on Netflix. For whatever reason, many Japanese people give a lot of obscure American horror films incredibly high reviews. This has led to me watching some true stinkers. Although, I do understand the high reviews in comparison to many of the films that come out of Japan. Maybe 1 in 7 films will have an interesting plot and decent acting. It's disheartening.

Anyway...'The New Daughter', which is called 'Nest' in Japan for whatever reason. I had a difficult time finding out what I had just watched. Newly divorced dad moves into isolated house with bitter teenage daughter and perfect heartwarming son...and oh, there is a giant burial ground in their backyard. I found it incredibly funny that the father spends SO much time on the computer trying to figure out the plot of the film. I was like yes, I can relate, Mr.Costner.

Quite a predictable story, jump scares, too much happening off screen, and a disappointing finale. The creatures look fantastic. Really, way to go in that department. The plot though...I am going to forget this ever happened in about four days.

Sheena liked this review