Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles

Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles ★★★★★

WOW this movie has some interesting facts. From the start you’re literally hypnotized by the framing and the acting, the colors and the way our protagonist is handling the labors that anyone can do at home. But why does it feels so intimate? Why does sometimes you even get to feel awkward by the simplest actions?? Cooking, making grocery shopping? Having dinner with your child. Why do I felt like I was watching something I shouldn’t be watching yet nothing bad was happening.

Those talks with her son, handling a sex-working profession at her own home, cooking, even waking up early, all of that and more (that will come to my mind spontaneously from now on), somehow made me feel really awkward, and after watching the movie I decided to read some reviews of my mutuals only to find that they felt the same way. Is this movie too human, and that’s why we feel that we shouldn’t be watching it? Or is there actually something in those subtle stares, and traits of the whole atmosphere?
Is the runtime a pivotal factor to make us feel this way? I mean, three and a half hours of watching some people living their daily life, even if you’re not watching their entire day, is going to make you feel uncomfortable somehow. As if we all were expecting for something actually disturbing to happen, so we stop feeling uncomfortable after feeling uncomfortable for actions and situations that aren’t bad or disturbing at all. We get so used to be watching this little family living normally, that when the ending comes, you won’t see that coming, and probably have to think that twice. It is an ending that can change everything or nothing of the interpretation you were already building.
  I think the reason this movie is so good and Highly rated, is because everyone that watches this movie, will have two interpretations. A wholesome/normal/cool interpretation, and the inevitable dark/sick/scary interpretation.

Adrián liked these reviews