Cruella

Cruella ★★★★★

I’ve been obsessed with the original “Cruella De Vil” song for months now. So much that I even learned how to play it on the piano. It’s amazing, it makes me happy, it has a lot of heart put into it but unfortunately it’s a bit too long and a bit too repetitive, just like CRUELLA.

This movie is, in fact, a masterpiece. It holds your attention from start to finish and never stops amazing you. Yes, it’s a bit too long and one or two scenes felt unnecessary, but aside from that, it’s perfect.

First of all, I want to talk about the soundtrack. BANGER AFTER BANGER. I GOTCHA, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, CAR WASH, BLOODY WELL RIGHT, SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO, COME TOGETHER????? 70% of the budget must have been used to buy the rights to these brilliant songs.

Ok, now the technical aspects. If this doesn’t win “Best Costume Design” or even “Best Production Design” at the next Oscars…. I will be angry. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MOVIE TO LOOK AT, and the costumes… chef’s kiss.

Now, the weakest part of the movie but also the strongest: the script. It’s a masterful script, and I love how they wrote the character of Cruella but it just felt a bit too long, even though the unnecessary scenes are still great! Truly amazed by how they managed to make you like but also hate Cruella.

AND WHEN IT COMES TO DIRECTION, CRAIG YOU GENIUS MEGAMIND. You can really identify his style of directing in this and it just gives a whole new vibe to these Disney live action remakes.

Ok, now acting. Joel Fry and Paul Walter Hauser are amazing as Jasper and Horace! They truly bring the silliness but also some heart to this movie. Some of the other minor roles were also incredible, like Mark Strong, John McCrea, Tipper Seifert-Cleveland, and Kirby Howell-Baptiste and Kayvan Novak as Anita and Roger.
Now the bigger roles. Emma Thompson is fantastic as the Baroness. She does such an amazing performance… I just love her so much. BUT YOU KNOW WHO I REALLY LOVE?? EMMA STONE HOLY SHIT GIRL YEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!! Perfect, perfect, perfect casting for Cruella.

Despite one or two flaws, “Cruella” is a modern masterpiece. Absolutely love when Disney goes apeshit and creates something like "Pirates of the Caribbean" and this.

hsaMovies liked these reviews