Chinatown ★★★★★

My 1000th review, and picking what I’d watch for such an occasion was a no-brainer. Unfortunately, everything that there is to say about Chinatown has already been said - finely crafted, expertly written and wonderfully acted. But I can’t stress enough just how brilliant Faye Dunaway is in this, so brilliant in fact that it takes two watches to fully grasp her performance. The first watch only shows a jittery, suspicious woman. The second watch, and every subsequent one after that, reveals just how complex and nuanced her performance really is, like the way she covers herself after the mere mention of her father (played by John Huston), or how she messes with her eye while driving away from the nursing home. The movie really reveals and unlocks itself after multiple watches, as well. The first time I saw this, I didn’t have a clue how all of the plot strings connected, but after a few rewatches, all the strings untangled, and I truly had one of those “a-ha!” moments. I wish Jake Gittes (Jack Nicholson) would of had one of those moments, because it would have spared a lot of people (including me) some heartache!

Chance liked these reviews