Housebound

Housebound ★★★★

Man, that was a lot of fun. Like, Bruce Campbell-level fun. Even my wife liked it, and though she proclaims to enjoy horror movies, I think that's mostly for my benefit.

Though this film feels familiar, the story seems fresh and not just a rehash of the standard haunted house film. I think it's fair to point to the amount of humor injected into the film. This was a lot funnier than I expected it to be. It's not like watching House II or anything, but it's pretty funny. Again, even my wife thought it was funny. She doesn't laugh out loud a lot. You want to get her to laugh? You know the scene in the True Grit remake where Bridges kicks the kids off the porch? She will be ROLLING on the floor after that scene. But you show her The Big Lebowski, you'll get some smiles but that's about it.

Anyway, lots of decent scares and lots of laughs here. Great atmosphere. This was honestly what I was expecting from The Babadook: a fresh take an on old idea. That one wasn't nearly as successful a film for my money. I liked it, but I really enjoyed this one.

The actors are all good. I especially enjoyed the mother's performance, as well as Amos, the security guy. Morgana O'Reilly did a good job of toeing the bitch line without being so unpleasant you wanted bad things to happen to her, so kudos.

The only major detraction here are some gaping plot holes and out and out stupid actions by several of the characters, like the denture scene, or how distracted the characters get late in the film when they should be running for their lives. Stuff like that.

But overall, this is one of the best horror films released in recent memory. It's a stark reminder that some filmmakers are capable of doing interesting things with a basic premise.

Dan liked these reviews