One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ★★★★½

My first Miloš Forman film was the 1984 biographical Oscar winner Amadeus and it immediately skyrocketed into my top 50. I fell in love with such a great film and wanted to see more of Forman's films.

I knew I would eventually end up watching Forman's predecessor to Amadeus which was his first big success and it was 1975's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest starring Jack Nicholson. Finally, that time came around and...I loved it. Not to the extent of how much I loved Amadeus but it was still amazing and just...lovely.

Jack Nicholson's performance as Randle Patrick McMurphy was incredible. He played the role so well and while I think he was better in The Shining, he's just unbelievably sensational. Credit must also go to Louise Fletcher who played the antagonist, Nurse Ratched. From the first moment I saw the nurse, I was frightened but not because of jump scares, horrific creatures, or violent outbursts but instead because of the silence and the deep stare. Her eyes felt like the dark abyss and it terrified me. Now, I was honestly quite underwhelmed by her; sure the silence and stares scared me but she didn't feel like a very evil person nor did she feel like a worthy enough antagonist until Bleart explained her evilness to me and I finally understood why she was such a great antagonist.

This is a phenomenal film and for those who love this film and haven't seen Amadeus then please go see Amadeus and if you love Amadeus and haven't seen this then please go see One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I'm pretty excited to check out more of Forman's classics like Man on the Moon and The People vs. Larry Flynt.

Also, I didn't realise Danny DeVito was in this until the last 30 minutes when I checked the cast lol.

Favourite Films of All Time