Three Colors: White

Three Colors: White ★★★½

Equality
/ɪˈkwɒlɪti,iːˈkwɒlɪti/
noun
1. the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, or opportunities.

The second film of the Three Colours trilogy is White.
White is the second colour in the French flag and here, it represents equality. Equality amongst the French.

White was released in 1994 and follows a Polish immigrant, Karol Karol, who is without a job and without a wife after his French (ex-)wife, Dominique, decides to get a divorce because of Karol not satisfying her sexually. From then on, Karol enlists a fellow Polish expatriate to smuggle him back to Poland.

If I may say, the first 30 minutes were glorious but after Karol reached Poland, the film kind of went downhill. It was still good and is worthy of a 3.5/5 but it just wasn't what I expected after those lovely 30 minutes.

The film stars Zbigniew Zamachowski, a Polish actor who has worked in several films including The Pianist, the Jim Carrey movie Dark Crimes, and four other Krzysztof Kieślowski films. His performance is great (especially for the first 30 minutes and the ending).

Starring alongside Zbigniew was Julie Delpy who's a famous actress known for starring in Avengers: Age of Ultron, the Before trilogy, But I'm A Cheerleader, and the 2005 Jim Jarmusch film Broken Flowers. While she isn't in the film for a majority of the runtime, Julie still does enough to impress me with some great acting.

Unlike Blue which was written by five people, White was only written by two: the director Krzysztof Kieślowski and Krzysztof Piesiewicz (known for also co-writing many Krzysztof films). They both did a fantastic job but it just didn't reach the height of Blue's writing.

Overall, this film is very well-made and contains lovely cinematography, terrific acting, and very good writing along with a phenomenal score. Sadly, the film was never as good as the first 30 minutes and while it's far from bad, I just wish the film could've kept up that great consistency. I keep stressing how good that first half was and I truly mean it so much to the point of saying that for that time, I loved this film more than the opening to the trilogy, Trois Couleurs: Bleu, but as it progressed, it lost steam and ended up being kind of a mess.

Next up is the final film from this trilogy, Red. I've heard it's the best one so I'm very much looking forward to it!

Watched with Something Someone.
His review is over here.

Trois Couleurs Trilogy | Film #2: Blanc