Under the Silver Lake ★★★★½

A film filled with otherworldly twists and turns, Under the Silver Lake completely rules.

On the surface, this is a comedic crime film about a boy trying to solve the case of a missing girl, but at its core, it’s about the second world that resides in Los Angeles. Beneath the lights and the glamour and the hopes and the dreams, there is another place full of sex, money, greed, and secrets. There, up and coming artists begging songwriters to make them a hit. There are struggling actresses selling their bodies and their faces to make a few pennies. The conspiracies that you heard about are real.

The connections made throughout the film are just so completely satisfying. There were definitely loose ends, but the ones that were tied up outweigh the ones that weren’t, in my opinion.

The editing and music were so amazing, like a true noir film. I need a Jesus and the Brides of Dracula album now. Andrew Garfield was especially great in this. He was really on top of his game.

Under the Silver Lake was a great surprise for me. I understand it’s not for everyone but I’m glad I enjoyed it as much as I did.

hunter liked these reviews