Sardar Udham

Sardar Udham ★★★★½

Ahhh, finally something worthwhile from Bollywood after quite a long time.

Sardar Udham is a meticulously presented nuanced experience which once again proves that Shoojit Sircar is a storyteller of the highest standards.

Shoojit Sircar leaves no stone unturned in creating a bleak atmosphere which really confronts you about forgetting the struggles our freedom fighters went through without overdoing anything. By making the film immune from overt patriotism, Shoojit surely knew what he was doing with it.

I really don't get how is people finding this film boring or something, there's slow and then there's boring, Sardar Udham is slow but when superb filmmaking by Shoojit Sircar is on display supported by some really stunning visuals and a captivating score then I can't even think about getting my eyes off the screen. Shoojit Sircar manages to run the main plot with constant flashbacks exceptionally well without making the things convoluted for a single second.

The last hour of the film was as disturbing as it gets, the sequence depicting the Jallianwala Bagh massacre goes on for almost 35-40 mins yet it never loses its effectiveness, instead it gets more and more trauma inducing as it continues. I don't think I will be able to get it out of my head for a long time now.

Calling Vicky Kaushal's performance brilliant would be an understatement. I have always rooted for him as an actor but here he totally outdid himself, every single emotion portrayed by him was absolutely on point here, easily his best performance till date.

Overall, Sardar Udham is an essential watch for anyone who is into movies, I urge all my followers to give it a try.

Block or Report