Hereditary

Hereditary ★★★

For a while I thought this was doing an excellent job (ala Kiyoshi Kurosawa) of exploiting the inherent dread of master shots (and sometimes just shot-reverse-shot sequences without much depth of field) with lots of planes and pockets and reflective surfaces containing ample frame-within-frames for spectral things to appear within. It's a shame that Aster limits his restraint to avoiding suddenness and volume, because that dread is eventually revealed as merely aesthetic fussiness when it becomes apparent that nearly every scare will involve a figure or object at the center of the frame and/or emphatically appearing at the very beginning of a shot. (Fortunately the exception to that rule is a long stretch near the end – at least until the very end, which is grandiosely occult in a way that almost never works for me… cf. The Witch)

On the other hand, the usual digital crispness (that I usually find anathema to horror films) really serves Collette and Wolff's facial contortions... maybe it is in fact humans whom are the real ghouls, makes u think, etc.