Spider-Man: Homecoming

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING [2017] :

The general consensus and hype for this film astound me to no end in all honesty. At the time of this review, it currently boasts a Rotten Tomatoes rating of a heavy 92% approval.

To no fault of the cast (who for the most part I think are well done choices, especially Michael Keaton) the film is like every other Marvel film. It goes a little something like this:

Our outcast and whacky I-Don't-Fit-In-Hero montage!
Our hero gets a little big for his boots.
Our hero falters, stumbles. Falls.
Our hero finds some last minute courage.
Our hero defeats the bad guy.
Forced Marvel humour that isn't witty anymore, it's just outdated and tired. I mean the film literally had penis jokes in it. Come on.

It was a case of: Rinse. Recycle. Repeat. And I mean, I get it really. This formula keeps on bringing in the dollars. But there wasn't anything about this movie we haven't seen done to death by every other Marvel film that has proceeded it, and will succeed this one. If you like the stock Marvel formula, I'm sure you will get a kick out of this film too.

To me, Homecoming felt like flogging a dead horse. It's hard to bring life into a film that has reached it's third retelling in so many years, but it felt like they didn't even attempt to reach beyond the boundaries Marvel have locked in for themselves. I was so bored by this movie I actually started thinking about the washing I had to do at home.

To see a film in the cinema in Australia these days costs at minimum $21 for an adult ticket (That's about $17USD) ; it's a bit of a luxury for the every day worker. Save your money and go spend it on some originality like Baby Driver. Or I don't know, anything else really.

Icarus_Kite liked this review