West Side Story

West Side Story ★★★★

A week or so ago, I wrote that Ridley Scott directs movies to look like what you imagine movies to look like in your head. Spielberg directs movies the way you wish all movies looked. What an exceptionally shot movie. The cinematography, the sound, the music, the lighting, really, every technical aspect of the movie shines.

What I appreciate a lot is how uncynical this movie is. It's camp and bright and full of energy just the way it's supposed to be. People overthink things and don't want to make something derivative but damn it man, just make something exceptional, no one cares if it's been done before. And it truly is exceptional. My problem with the movie is my problem with the source material and not so much a problem with the movie itself.

In terms of performances, honestly, everyone does a great job. Spielberg gives the actors ample space to flex their acting muscles and all the leads have at least one scene they can shine in. I do have to say that Ariana DeBose steals the show. She's a star.

Just go and watch the movie. My partner can attest that I had the most ridiculous smile on my face all the way through the first half of the movie. Yes, it's West Side Story which is Romeo and Juliet and we all know it but damn is it good.