Little Monsters ★★★★★

Attended the NYC premiere tonight of Little Monsters, which included a live Q&A session involving the director - Abe Forsythe - and two of the stars of the film - Alexander England and Lupita Nyong’o (pictured).

The film is about a group of kindergarten students trapped in a petting zoo souvenir shop during the middle of the zombie apocalypse with their teacher, chaperone, and a famous kids television host. I didn’t know much about the film going into it besides the synopsis, but wow, was this a huge surprise. It is a perfect blend of heart, humor, and lots of zombie gore. It is a Rated-R film so expect a lot of blood and guts.

A lot of time is spent developing the characters we follow through this sporadic journey. It was refreshing to see Lupita Nyong’o experiment in a different genre, and she had great comedic timing. Alexander England - who is the main protagonist of the film - is absolutely hilarious, and I hope to see more of him in the future. Josh Gad goes off the walls as a kids' television star and doesn’t shy away from his real-life persona. All of the kindergarten students were great and brought a lot of the charm.

A lot of the writing towards the humor presented isn’t afraid to overstep boundaries. It’s surprisingly crude, but I must admit that it is the most I laughed in a comedy all year. It is well-directed, and the story has a personal connection to the director - as it was inspired by his five-year-old son.

Definitely check this out when it hits Hulu this Friday.

Justin liked this review