Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace ½

Even worse than I remember. It has aged so badly to the point where every scene is either completely laughable or makes no sense. Might actually be worse than Attack of The Clones, although it’s still like choosing if dog piss or cat piss is nicer. At the end of the day they’re both piss.

Darth Maul sucks the hardest, I can’t believe anyone defends that character in this movie. Even the fight scene at the end that everyone circlejerks is totally lacklustre because there is no tension or stakes as the characters are so poorly set up.

Jar Jar is even worse than you remember, his dialogue is completely incomprehensible so I had no idea what he was saying. He also looks like pre-vis CG because the effects have aged so badly.

The podrace is the only half decent scene (despite being utterly self indulgent in its ludicrous length), but its setup in relation to the main plot makes no sense at all. Also the blu-ray cut has these terrible added shots, each of which is even more pointless and awful looking than the last.

Still a great comedy though, was crying with laughter at points.