The Last Black Man in San Francisco

The Last Black Man in San Francisco ★★★★★

everything in this film is so intimate and personal. the camerawork is up close yet beautiful (this definitely has one of my favorite first shots that can think of) and the script gives the viewers more than enough time to digest the jarring presentation of san francisco itself. there's a line in this film that goes something like "you can't hate san francisco unless you love san francisco" and that unintentionally describes my feelings not just with that city but with new york as well.

cities are more than just locations to many black people like myself, but they're a reflection of black culture and the history that surrounds it. this film has such a wonderful depiction of black culture and what it means to have origins in your city. it's all done very calmly but also at the same time somewhat confrontationally, which is sort of a brash and nonsensical comparison but that's the best i could come up with.

the editing style of this film is so jarring but i found myself entranced by it. there isn't a sequence to a lot of the short-term events sometimes, so the editing style portrays an almost experimental vibe and i really appreciated it. it takes a lot of skill to create a film like this, and even more to create a film like this when it's your first time directing a feature film.

clemmie liked these reviews