F for Fake ★★★★★

5.0/5.0 = Masterpiece

Certainly one that will warrant repeated viewings until the end of time. The mere idea of editing a feature of this velocity on actual film is beyond me, Orson Welles' fever dream pinballs with a diabolically stimulating momentum. The entire experience is giddily addictive. I'm not sure how much I really care for the general examination of the film's core subjects - art forgers and their craft - but the way it all ties into the illusion of film, the nature of falsities to craft stories, and games of trickery is unfathomably brilliant. I absolutely adore Welles' academic charisma, he's the university professor you dream of having; a man of unquestionable charm and brimming with character. F FOR FAKE really sets the groundwork for what essay films should be, and ought to be mandatory viewing for anybody involved in the craft of editing, or visual storytelling at large. It's absurd how much information Welles relays with each independent image, and the way they accumulate into a larger collective whole with their juxtapositions. Upon further examination, Welles' film is really a discourse on structural storytelling; drawing distinctions between truth and falsehood, reality and illusion, all in the name of finding the art in artifice.