Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★½

Army of the Dead is not quite the same beast that Snyder had created with his 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake.

I mean, just by comparing both title sequences, you can see how different each of them is tonally from one another and how differently both films set out to be pretty much from the outset essentially.

And, while I'm on the topic, I'm going to go off on a tangent here, but Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake has one of the best opening credits sequences I've seen in a film or at least one of the most memorable in my opinion over the last 20 years.

I mean, there's just something so eerie about seeing this epidemic happen right in front of our eyes as Johnny Cash's The Man Comes Around plays in the background in a quick 2-minute montage that ultimately sets up all that follows in the film. It's just awesome shit.

Anyway, moving on, so Army of the Dead is finally here.

Daddy Zack has returned after a brief two-month hiatus, and he now wields all the unrestricted funds he desires, courtesy of Reed Hastings and Netflix.

So, what does he end up doing with all the money he has at his disposal?

Well, a film that ends up being both an average traditional heist film and a typical sub-par zombie film, kind of like how 2+2, ends up equalling 5 for some.

Snyder's film is long, it's two and a half hours for fuck sakes, but when you equate the length of this to Snyder's cut of the Justice League, it gradually seems like dog years when you are to position one and one next to each other, so there's that going for it at least.

Nevertheless, Dave Bautista wonderfully leads the cast and does a lot of boom boom with his gun while being as cool as hell considering his character's circumstances.

The zombies are pretty cool and move wickedly fast. Hell, they make the 28 Days Later zombies look like they're from an old Romeo film. Also, pretty much all of them ended up being like the Hunters from Left 4 Dead somehow. So that was cool.

Look, though this film did not completely enthrall me, and it may have been less satisfactory than I had hoped in the end. Overall, I think Zack did a good job here, even if the movie overall ended up being quite mediocre in the end.

One significant criticism that I have thought comes to mind is how Snyder filmed almost all of his scenes with a rack focus. If you're not familiar with the term, it means that he shot the whole film with one critical object in the four front (here the actor) while the rest of the background is blurred for effect.

Maybe Snyder shouldn't have been the sole cinematographer for the film. I'm not sure what the explanation was for this, but it bothered me a ton and, to be frank, made me quite nauseous at periods while I was watching it.

But anyhow, I still had a pretty good time with this, and I'm excited to see where this franchise is heading next.

(Note: After some consideration, I opted to lower my rating from a 3 to 2.5. Since the more I thought about it, the less I liked it in general.)

Michael liked these reviews