The Eyes of Tammy Faye

The Eyes of Tammy Faye ★★★½

It's one of those movies you see every year that features a 10/10 performance, where the movie itself only merits a 6/10 overall.

When the trailer for this film was released, I had already seen the documentary on which this film was based on. Which, in comparison to this, to me, seemed to have a much better grasp on what made Tammy Faye tick much more than the movie did in the end.

But this shouldn't come off as too surprising since this happens to be a fictional narrative-driven film instead of a documentary feature film.

For one more second, let's talk about that documentary. There was a moment of it that made me gasp so hard when they showed a montage of everything that came out of Jim Bakker's adulterous affair in the media. One of them in the montage was a TV movie about him starring; who else but Kevin fucking Spacey?

Like I said to myself, dead ass cut the cameras; this is too good to be true.

Alright, moving on, but I just had to share that what the fuck-ness with all of you.

So, other than Chastain's excellent performance and her apparent devotion to capturing Tammy Faye's whole persona as a human being, it appears that I don't have much else to say about this film in the end.

Perhaps it's just that I received the impression that the film should have gone farther in its attempt to unearth all of the corruption associated with the televangelist industry.

But it seems that if Michael Showwalter had done this, it would have had to have been a lot more nasty and sarcastic in tone, akin to a type of satire along the lines of Adam McKay's Vice if they went that route.

However, looking back, I think Tammy Faye's story wouldn't have fit in this type of manner, particularly when you consider the amount of silliness and camp she brings to everything by herself, with her whole persona alone.

Despite my misgivings about the movie, I think Michael Showalter did a perfect job here. He deserves a lot of credit just for replicating a scenario from the documentary's most uncomfortable moment, in which Tammy Faye meets with a television producer who happens to work for the show Cops of all things, to pitch him awful unworkable television show ideas. It's both horrifying and amusing to watch, and he seemed to have nailed it.

Michael liked these reviews