The Thing

The Thing ★★★★★

Critics in 1982: disappointing... failure... Carpenter blows it...
MacReady: Yeah, fuck you too!

This was my first time watching The Thing (I know, I know...), and my expectations were incredibly high. After years of hearing about how much of a masterpiece this movie is, I wasn't sure if it would live up to the hype. But it did. Oh yes, it did.

While it's famous for its visual effects, the suspense and paranoia delivered by The Thing are simply outstanding. Not only is it a very unsettling viewing experience, but it's also the kind of film that stays with you for a while after you watch it. In retrospect, watching this by myself at night was a poor decision on my part - now I'm just sitting here paranoid for no reason.

Back to those famous practical effects though - they are stunning, and I once again don't know how I'm supposed to sleep after this. Seriously, that was some messed up shit. Also, this movie turns 35 this year, and the visuals hold up like nothing else. Take that, CGI! And while I'm on the topic of visuals, I can't not mention that there is some beautiful cinematography here as well.

Basically, I loved it.
It's safe to say I'll be watching The Thing again.

P.S. Young Kurt Russell, hot damn!