Cargo ★★★½

In a global pandemic catastrophe, a community of original inhabitants, aboriginals, with strong ties to living off the land might be best equipped to endure and flourish.

This Australian movie is a smart and different take on the zombie genre. The focus is set on slow burning character development and emotions, not on blood and guts. The first act is particularly strong. Married couple Andy and Kay manage to survive the initial outbreak by taking shelter on a houseboat with their year-old daughter Rose. Then tragedy strikes… Flesh gets infected. You now have 48 hours to find a safe spot for your daughter.

Martin Freeman is an amazing actor (you knew that already when he was dominating ”The Office” UK), and he truly stands out here, but just like in a great game, like ”The Last of Us” for example, not all characters are 100%, if you know what I mean. No matter how good Freeman is, there are other aspects that are not quite up to par, and that’s what separates a great film from an amazing film.

I’ve seen people talking about Cormac McCarthy’s fantastic novel ”The Road” in relation to this, but no, this is not as deep, not as dark. Still good, though. Very good. ”Cargo” is a film with a soul, and when it comes to losing our loved ones I think no one stands unmoved. Family first.

And let’s not forget the stunning photography by Geoffrey Simpson. The Australian outback looks amazing.