Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ★★★½

While ”The Force Awakens” (2015) came across as a decent film for children, ”Rogue One” is as mature as a Star Wars movie could possibly get without losing its SW touch. It’s dark and dirty, and emphasizes war more than ever before. At times it’s like a WWII movie with a Star Wars twist.

It also delivers a pretty smooth setup for the beginning of the original Star Wars movie, ”Episode IV: A New Hope” (1977). Remember the opening scene (it’s been almost 40 years, that’s a crazy long time ago!): ”During the battle, rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR…”

”Rogue One” tells this story of the rebel spies, and while it’s not quite up there with the magic of the original trilogy, I think Gareth Edwards did a great job. These standalone flicks have the possibility to do so much more than just follow the Skywalker family around, and Edwards just set the bar pretty high. I only wish he’d ventured even further into darkness, but he too must obey to certain SW rules, I guess. Good stuff, though!