Letterboxd

Uh oh, we have gremlins in the control room…
Letterboxd is down due to an unscheduled technical outage. We’ll be back soon!

Still from Joe Dante’s Gremlins (1984)

Gremlins ga('set', 'dimension3', '/object/viewing'); ga('require', 'GTM-TB8HSDN'); ga('send', 'pageview'); ‎‘Victoria’ review by Mattias Indy Pettersson • Letterboxd

Letterboxd

Uh oh, we have gremlins in the control room…
Letterboxd is down due to an unscheduled technical outage. We’ll be back soon!

Still from Joe Dante’s Gremlins (1984)

Gremlins if ( screen.width < 768 ) { var date = new Date(); var maxAge = 365 * 24 * 60 * 60; date.setTime(date.getTime() + maxAge * 1000); var expires = '; expires=' + date.toUTCString(); document.cookie = "useMobileSite=yes" + expires + "; path=/; maxAge=" + maxAge; if ( document.cookie && document.cookie.indexOf("useMobileSite=yes") >= 0 ) { window.location.reload(true); } else { // No cookies. No Mobile version. } }

Victoria ★★★½

Wow, what an amazing achievement! One take, no cuts. 140 minutes of realtime movie magic. And in contrast to the extremely overrated ”Birdman”, this one isn’t fake, and it also has content.

Victoria, a lonely Spanish girl having spent 16 years, seven hours a day, practicing the piano, seeks adventure in the nighttime Berlin underground. Desperately naive, she decides to hang out with four shady guys and things escalate quickly. The ”Pusher” trilogy comes to mind.

Sure, it’s unrealistic at times (the story needs to move forward), but it’s still authentic. Most of the dialogue is improvised, and the camera work is fantastic.
Also, ”Victoria” makes me wanna return to the Mitte district in Berlin.