Mirror

Mirror ★★★★★

“It seems to make me return to the place, poignantly dear to my heart, where my grandfathers house used to be in which i was born 40 years ago right on the dinner table. Each time i try to enter it, something prevents me from doing that. I see this dream again and again. And when i see those walls made of logs and the dark entrance, even in my dream i become aware that I'm only dreaming it. And the overwhelming joy is clouded by anticipation of awakening. At times something happens and i stop dreaming of the house and the pine trees of my childhood around it. Then i get depressed. And i can't wait to see this dream in which I'll be a child again and feel happy again because everything will still be ahead, everything will be possible...“

The power of dreams and memory unfold. The past is always inevitable for humanity; we constantly look back while time presses forward, drawing us further into an unknown oblivion. The conventions of film are disjointed, replicating the complex nature of the psyche, still eluded by the answers that lie deep within the subconscious.

While these themes are central, the meaning of Tarkovsky’s hypnotic Mirror remains enigmatic. Translucent in form and poetic in nature, Mirror is a truly unique film shrouded in symbolism and mystic reflections of a dying man’s life, but is one that to try and fully understand would be pointless.
While we scratch and claw to understand it, all we can rightly do is feel it.

Oscar liked these reviews