Good Time ★★

With only two films under their belt that I've seen, this may be premature for me to say, but the Safdie brothers may not be for me. I was not at all a fan of HEAVEN KNOWS WHAT, and while GOOD TIME is a much better movie, I still overall find it tedious and misguided.

GOOD TIME is a film driven by its aesthetics and music, which I appreciated and they do work in terms of immersing you into the frenetic storytelling on display. That said, the overall screenplay feels aimless and lacking credence, which ultimately made this experience super frustrating. The films themes of familial disparity and the commentary on social injustice feels unearned dramatically and are forcefully interwoven into a story that spends very little time on those things. The film spends 90% (or more) on its surface level narrative, which meanders with no meaningful end in sight. And maybe that's the point, but I found it bland and uninteresting.

There's a scene as we near the halfway point where another criminal becomes involved with Robert Pattinson's Connie, and he starts off by telling Connie that he can't remember how he ended up in the hospital or handcuffed. "I'm too f***ed up, I can't remember anything that happened to me," he says. Immediately after that, the film shifts perspective to this character where he goes on to describe vividly what happened to him the night before and how he ended up in the hospital. It makes absolutely no sense given his dialogue just seconds before. It's a scene that is victim to the film's overall aimlessness, its "let's just see what happens" approach and why this film is so disengaging.

I understand that GOOD TIME isn't meant to be a good time and it features despicable characters, and that's not my problem. My problem is that the film doesn't have anything interesting to offer in terms of its journey or why any of it is happening. I love Pattinson's performance, but Connie is a one-note character who we barely know by the end. The character of Nick is hardly in the movie, but I would argue we have more insight to his character than Connie. You have to assume a lot of things in order for the script to feel cohesive, and the assumptions being tossed around toward this film are debatable at best.

Lastly, I'll just say without spoilers, the final scene is cheap in terms of its dramatic effect. Nothing about is earned given the crystallization of the final act.

I know I'm in the minority here, and that's fine, but I do not recommend this film at all, unless you're a Pattinson completist. He is really quite great.

InSession Film - liked this review