Nightcrawler ★★★★½

This is the Jake Gyllenhaal show. Or you could argue that it's the Louis Bloom show because Gyllenhaal just disappears. His performance is absolutely unreal and is arguably the best of his career. Louis is creepy, disturbing but also incredibly compelling from beginning to end.

Dan Gilroy's direction is immaculate. Incredible pacing, fantastic sound design and the cinematography is maybe the best I've seen all year. Robert Elswit is great utilizing LA's night light's, neon blares and illumination that almost makes LA a character in the film.

Quite possibly the best satire on the local news I've ever seen (I still love you Anchorman). The film explores an incredible contrast between what our society wants and also what they're comfortable with. "It's so disturbing, but I can't look away!"

Louis Bloom is a character we'll remember for a long time. He's such an interesting character who lives his life like a resume and thrives on manipulation. Bargaining power and manipulation becomes his muse and it makes for some great entertainment.

You can hear us discuss this on Episode 89 of the InSession Film Podcast. Look for it soon!

InSession Film - liked this review